Monday, May 21, 2012

DAY 1 - DDL Flats & Handwashing Challenge - Why Am I Doing It???

Receiving Blanket Cloth Diaper
Ikea Receiving Blanket in Origami Fold
It's officially started!!!  Today is Day 1 of the Dirty Diaper Laundry Second Annual Flats & Handwashing Challenge and I'm pretty psyched.  So what is the Flats and Handwashing Challenge?  Well I (along with several other cloth diapering parents) have vowed to used only flat cloth diapers and forgo my use of the washer and dryer so that I can hand wash all of Linc's dirty diaper laundry.  Ok, you can ask the question now.  I'm sure you're all dying to ask.  My husband's asked me a million times already.  "Why on earth would you want to do that?!?!"  Well I'll tell you why.

I've been cloth diapering for over six months now and have known I wanted to cloth diaper for over a year.  Being a part of the middle-upper class I've gone crazy with my cloth diaper purchases and have made cloth diapering more of a collection hobby than a bare bones necessity.  Yes, I know I could save a lot of money cloth diapering, but I choose not to.  Now at the same time I blog about cloth diapering.  I talk about how great it is and how much money you can save over disposables.  There in lies the problem though.  I don't practice what I preach and how can I really influence those that are striving to save money if I'm telling you all that the best cloth diapers will cost you around $35 each???  The simple answer is that I can't.  That being said, I found this challenge to be just what I needed to get back to the basics and practice what I preach ... saving money!  

My goals with this challenge are the following:

  • Show that with a limited supply of money (as little as $50), you can cloth diaper your child till potty training.
  • Research several different flat cloth diaper options and see which ones work the best.
  • Test out several different flat folds and see which ones work the best.
  • Show that even bare bones cloth diapering can be fun (Whoot!  Love tie-dye!).
  • Build up some awesomely toned arms.
  • Open my eyes to a whole different world of cloth diapering that I didn't think I'd ever try.
Day 1 notes:
- Last night I put Linc in a Orange Diaper Company toddler size bamboo terry flat origami folded with a Hemp Babies flat padfolded in.  Over that I put a Thirsties size 2 hook and loop diaper cover.  There were no leaks and he could have went even longer since the diaper wasn't fully saturated.
- This morning I had Linc in a padfolded Green Mountain Diapers Cloth-eez Flat size small.  Over that I put a Flip hook and loop diaper cover.  I'm realizing just how easy it is to padfold a flat cloth diaper.  Why mess with all the crazy folds when you can padfold in about 2 seconds.
- Right now I have Linc in an Ikea receiving blanket origami folded with a Thirsties size 2 hook and loop cover.  I love that I can get cute prints when using a receiving blanket!

A Little Cloth Diaper Challenge Humor For The Day:

Flats & Handwashing Cartoon - Camp Washer

A Few Hours Later ...

Flats & Handwashing Cartoon - Leaf Clothes

**Please note that some links are affiliate links**


If you would like to read more great posts from other bloggers also taking this challenge feel free to check out the links below.

\

10 comments:

  1. LOL, you're pictures are too funny! Very true though, sometimes I think my husband has taken our use of cloth diapers to mean that we should be frugal in other ways. Like a couple weeks ago, he suggested we use "family cloth." I'm not ready for that, but I told him he could go for it if he wanted. Lasted one day. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I was planning to comment about how nice it was that you were going to highlight going back to basics and saving money on flats....and then I got to the cartoon and just cracked up! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!! Love the second one with the leaf!!! LOL!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cartoon!

    Kim
    www.dirtydiaperlaundry.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to show your support with a comment! I LOVE reading all of them and will try and answer any questions that you might have. :)