Thursday, January 12, 2012

Newborn Diaper Reviews (PART 3) - Covers

I'm back again today with Part 3 of my Newborn Cloth Diaper Reviews series.  Today I'm going to go over all of the covers that I used during the newborn period.  I almost didn't even write a post for covers because they all pretty much worked out great.  It seemed like whenever i used a cover I got a great fit and I never had any leaks or blowouts.  In the end I did decide that there are subtle differences that do put certain covers in front of others even if those differences are miniscule.  So listed below are all the covers we used and how they rated for us performance wise.  I was bummed when I realized that I didn't get a picture of Lincoln in each of the covers, but I do have a video review that will give you a closer look.  I hope this helps your decision making process go easier when building your own newborn cloth diaper stash.

** Please note that while I aim to provide the most thorough and honest reviews possible, this review is based on my own preferences and experiences.  Each baby is different and each parent has different likes and dislikes.  What works for one may not work for another, so keep that in mind while doing your research.**


Thirsties Duo Wrap w/Aplix (Size: 1) - $12.75 / 6-18 lbs (Overall Rating: ♥♥♥♥)

Ease Of Use: ♥♥♥♥ - These covers are so easy to use.  All I had to do was adjust the rise periodically as Lincoln grew, but other than that they were easy on, easy off.

Adjustability & Fit: ♥♥♥♥♥ - These fit great!  I love that they fit such a large size range too.  The aplix gives a perfect fit around the waist and the rise snaps give me options as Lincln grows.  I also found that the rise snaps came in handy for sizing up when I'm using a huge prefold or fitted diaper.

Leak Protection: ♥♥♥♥♥ - I've never had a leak or blowout!

Wash Routine: ♥♥♥♥ - Very easy wash routine.  You just have to remember to stick the aplix tabs on the laundry tabs before washing.  Once in awhile they would come off, but that was VERY rare.  I love how fast they dry on my drying rack too.  In an hour or less they're ready to go.

Bang For The Buck: ♥♥♥♥♥ - These diaper covers are such a great value!  The price is right and you can use them for a long time.

Quality & Durability: ♥♥♥♥ - The quality is pretty good, but the aplix does wear out after a bit of use and you need to remember to throw them in the dryer every now and then to get their stick back.  I also noticed pilling on the inner gusset binding.  Other than that these are great.

The Look: ♥♥♥♥ - The prints and colors are pretty cute and vibrant.  They're not my favorite, but at least they're not boring.


Thirsties Cover (Size: XS) - $11.50 / 6-12 lbs (Overall Rating: ♥♥♥♥)

Ease Of Use: ♥♥♥♥ These covers are so easy to use.  Easy on, easy off.

Adjustability & Fit: ♥♥♥♥ - Love the fit of this diaper!  It really fit well.  The aplix gave me endless options on the waist and the leg gussets always hugged Lincoln's legs without being too tight.  No rise adjustments though so if I had a huge prefold or fitted then I couldn't use this cover.

Leak Protection: ♥♥♥♥♥ - I've never had a leak or blowout!

Wash Routine: ♥♥♥♥ - Very easy wash routine.  You just have to remember to stick the aplix tabs on the laundry tabs before washing.  Once in awhile they would come off, but that was VERY rare.  I love how fast they dry on my drying rack too.  In an hour or less they're ready to go.

Bang For The Buck: ♥♥♥♥ - They reduced the price a bit on their sized covers from their duo covers, but I still think the duo is a better value.  In my opinion it works just as well as the sized if not better.

Quality & Durability: ♥♥♥♥ - The quality is pretty good, but the aplix does wear out after a bit of use and you need to remember to throw them in the dryer every now and then to get their stick back.  I also noticed pilling on the inner gusset binding.  Other than that these are great.

The Look: ♥♥♥♥ - The prints are pretty cute, but there aren't a lot to choose from.


Bummis Super Lite Cover (Size: NB) - $10.00 / 6-10 lbs (Overall Rating: ♥♥♥♥)

Ease Of Use: ♥♥♥♥ These covers are so easy to use.  Easy on, easy off.

Adjustability & Fit: ♥♥♥♥ - These diapers fit very well.  The leg elastic is a bit wider than covers with gussets, but I didn't see this as a drawback.  There are no rise adjustments on this cover though so if I had a large prefold or fitted diaper, then I couldn't use this cover.

Leak Protection: ♥♥♥♥♥ - I wasn't sure if this cover was going to work well for the newborn stage since it didn't have gussets, but it worked just as well as my covers that did.  I was very surprised!

Wash Routine: ♥♥♥♥ - Very easy wash routine.  You just have to remember to stick the aplix tabs on the laundry tabs before washing.  Once in awhile they would come off, but that was VERY rare.  I love how fast they dry on my drying rack too.  In an hour or less they're ready to go.

Bang For The Buck: ♥♥♥♥ - Love the price of this diaper cover!  It doesn't last as long size wise, but they made up for it with price.

Quality & Durability: ♥♥♥♥♥ - The quality of this diaper is ok.  It held up fine and the aplix tabs worked better than others, but the stitching is not as nice on this diaper cover as others.

The Look: ♥♥♥♥♥ - The look is very basic and plain.  I do like the soft texture of the PUL exterior though. I also like the wide waistband and wide leg bands.  I do not like the tag on the outside.  I really wish Bummis would re-design their tag to look nicer.  I'd cut it off if I wasn't going to sell this diaper.


Bummis Super Brite Cover (Size: NB) - $12.65 / 4-9 lbs (Overall Rating: ♥♥♥)

Ease Of Use: ♥♥♥♥ These covers are so easy to use.  Easy on, easy off.

Adjustability & Fit: ♥♥♥♥ - If you're expecting a small baby then this is the cover for you.  This was the smallest of all my diaper covers.  I did get to use it, but it was the first diaper cover I had to retire.  When I did use it the fit was great though.

Leak Protection: ♥♥♥♥♥ - Never had a leak in this cover.

Wash Routine: ♥♥♥♥ - Very easy wash routine.  You just have to remember to stick the aplix tabs on the laundry tabs before washing.  Once in awhile they would come off, but that was VERY rare.  I love how fast they dry on my drying rack too.  In an hour or less they're ready to go.

Bang For The Buck: ♥♥♥♥♥ - For me this diaper was not a great value.  If I had known Lincoln was going to be a larger baby I would have gotten the next size up.  I hardly got to use this cover at all.

Quality & Durability: ♥♥♥♥ - It's hard to rate the quality and durability when I didn't get to use this diaper as long as the others, but for the time I did use this cover it held up very well.  

The Look: ♥♥♥♥ - This cover looks almost exactly like the Thirsties covers only with different prints.  I prefer the Thirsties prints better though.  I also really don't like the tag on this cover.  I really wish they would re-design it or hide it inside the diaper.


Weehuggers Cover w/Snaps (Size: 1) - $18.95 / 6-18 lbs (Overall Rating: ♥♥♥♥)

Ease Of Use: ♥♥♥♥ - I really wish I would have ordered this diaper with the hook and loop closure, but the snaps weren't that bad to use.  Of course hook and loop is easier, but I couldn't pass up the cute look of the snaps.  There are only two on each wing and they snap very easily.

Adjustability & Fit: ♥♥♥♥ - This cover fit very well and I love that I have the adjustability of the rise so I can adjust the cover larger as Lincoln grows or if I have an exceptionally large fitted diaper.

Leak Protection: ♥♥♥♥ - I've never had a leak with this cover.  The outside fabric did feel slightly damp though.  It didn't wick onto the clothing though.  I'm just assuming it was because this cover had a cotton exterior.

Wash Routine: ♥♥♥♥ - I like that this is a snap cover so I don't have to worry about the hook closures getting stuck on everything.  The only drawback of this diaper is the drying time.  Because it is a cotton exterior it takes quite a bit of time to dry.  Usually I'll have to wait overnight for the diaper to dry, where a regular PUL cover will dry in an hour.

Bang For The Buck: ♥♥♥♥♥ - This cover has a pretty high price tag, but you can use it for quite a long time.  You can get a whole pocket diaper for this price.  I'd feel better with a $15 price tag.

Quality & Durability: ♥♥♥♥♥ - This cover is a great quality.  The snaps are great and I've had absolutely no wear and tear on this cover.  It still looks brand new.

The Look: ♥♥♥♥♥ - This is one of the cutest newborn covers I have.  I love the design and shape.  I love the pattern.  I love the color combinations of the binding, snaps, and fabric.  I especially love the look of a cotton exterior.  I also love that even though the tag is on the outside, it's still very cute and doesn't take away from the look of the cover.


Prowraps Colors (Size: NB) - $7.95 / 6-10 lbs (Overall Rating: ♥♥♥)

Ease Of Use: ♥♥♥♥ These covers are so easy to use.  Easy on, easy off.

Adjustability & Fit: ♥♥♥♥ - This cover had a good fit.  The hook and loop closure gave a very customized waist fit and the leg gussets hugged the legs nicely.  

Leak Protection: ♥♥♥♥♥ - Didn't have a leak with this cover.

Wash Routine: ♥♥♥♥ - Very easy to wash as long as you remember to affix the hook closures onto the laundry tabs.  

Bang For The Buck: ♥♥♥♥♥ - This is the most economical cover I found with leg gussets.  It doesn't fit for very long, but you can't beat the price.

Quality & Durability: ♥♥♥♥ - These covers are very heavy duty and I can't imagine them ever coming apart.  The first one I received was damaged, but they quickly mailed me out a perfect new one.

The Look: ♥♥♥♥ - I don't like the look of these at all.  I also don't like the texture.  They are very thick and stiff.  That being said, if you want an economical option these are fine, but don't expect much with the look of this cover.


Gen-Y Universal Cover (Size: Small) - $21.99 / 7-18 lbs (Overall Rating: ♥♥♥)

Ease Of Use: ♥♥♥ - After using this cover I realize that I'm not a side snapping type of person.  I really struggled trying to get these covers on.  I know a lot of people like side snapping, but I'm not one of them.  

Adjustability & Fit: ♥♥♥♥♥ - This cover did not fit as early as it said it would.  Even when it did fit, I found the fit quite odd.  It just seemed poofy at the top.  That being said, it's a great cover for larger fitted diapers.

Leak Protection: ♥♥♥♥ - I've never had a leak with this cover.  The outside fabric did feel slightly damp though.  It didn't wick onto the clothing though.  I'm just assuming it was because this cover had a cotton exterior.

Wash Routine: ♥♥♥♥ - I like that this is a snap cover so I don't have to worry about the hook closures getting stuck on everything.  The only drawback of this diaper is the drying time.  Because it is a cotton exterior it takes quite a bit of time to dry.  Usually I'll have to wait overnight for the diaper to dry, where a regular PUL cover will dry in an hour.

Bang For The Buck: ♥♥♥♥♥ - This cover has a crazy high price for being a cover.  Love the look, but it was my most expensive cover that I purchased.  You can use it for quite a long time, but I found that I could not use it as early as it said I could.  I'd say you can start using this cover at 9 lbs.

Quality & Durability: ♥♥♥♥♥ - Love the quality of this cover.  After two months this cover still looks brand new.

The Look: ♥♥♥♥♥ - I LOVE the look of this cover.  All the prints that Gen-Y have are sooooo cute and they're always coming out with new ones.

_________________________________________________________________________________

If you would like to purchase any of these diapers for your little one, then please visit their website links above or help support this blog by visiting one of my affiliate stores: Sweetbottoms Baby BoutiqueKelly's ClosetDiaper Junctionor Thanks Mama. 


**This review is comprised of my own opinions and was not influenced by any outside source.  The products were purchased by myself and were not given to me or asked to be reviewed by any outside source.  No advertising was purchased in order to feature these products. **

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for these pictures and reviews - super helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to show your support with a comment! I LOVE reading all of them and will try and answer any questions that you might have. :)