Friday, November 4, 2011

You Don't Scare Me Anymore Wool ! ! ! ... Time to lanolize

Ok, It was a week before I was due to have Lincoln, and I had yet yet to lanolize my wool.  I set it all in a nice stack and stared at it each day saying that I'd lanolize it all "tomorrow".  It was always tomorrow.  I don't know why I was so scared of it.  I guess because you spend so much money on wool items that you don't want anything bad to happen to it.  Well, with the due date coming up I couldn't put it off any longer.  Time to lanolize.

Before I got started you can bet that I searched the web for every tutorial and YouTube video I could find.  Of course I found quite a few different views on how to lanolize, but it seemed like there was a fairly clear pattern, and I'd already purchased a few products so I went with the routines that used those.  Here are the products that I've decided to use.

Eucalan No Rince Wool Wash
Out of all the wool washes it seemed like Eucalan was the most popular.  It's basically a mild soapy wash with lanolin mixed in.  Eucalan also comes in four fragrances (Eucalyptus, Lavender, Grapefruit, and Unscented).  I went with the Lavender scent.  It's a mild scent, but still sweet and calming.  Eucalan also comes in a couple different sizes.  You can get the single serving sample size (.17 fl oz), the small bottle (3.3 fl oz), or the big bottle (16.9 fl oz).  I went with the big bottle.  I hate having to re-order stuff all the time so I might as well stock up.  Technically you could use this without adding any additional lanolin, but I've decided to add additional for extra protection. (Approx $11.25 retail)


Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers
If you've ever breastfed your children then you probably already know what Lansinoh Lanolin is. I used it with both of my girls and I'll be using it again this time. The only difference this time around is that I'll not only be using it to sooth my nipples, but also to lanolize my wool diaper covers and breast pads. This is the pure solid form of Lanolin so it works great to give your wool extra protection. I'll be using this in addition to my Eucalan Wool Wash when soaking my diaper covers. I just got the standard 2oz tube. I love that it's so readily available and inexpensive. (Approx $9.99 retail)

CJ's All Natural Woolie Revitalizer Lanolin Spray
This product is used to add just a little bit of lanolin to your diaper covers in between washes.  It comes in a 4 oz spray bottle in seven different scents (All Natural Mango Sugar Mint, Blueberry Crumble, Monkey Farts, Oatmeal Milk & Honey, Warm Vanilla Cake, Unscented, & Honeyed Patchouli).  I got mine in the Warm Vanilla Cake scent and it smells heavenly!!!  Now I know that wool is self cleaning and for the most part won't smell, but it can't hurt to add a bit of fragrance anyways.  I plan on spraying a couple of spritzes to the inner soaker area every couple of uses just to keep a fresh smell and fully lanolized diaper cover.   (Approx $10.25 Retail)




HOW TO LANOLIZE YOUR WOOL
  1. Fill a sink or bucket with tepid (warm) water.  You want just enough to fully emerge the items that you will be lanolizing.  I like to use my laundry room sink.
  2. Add a teaspoon of Eucalan Wool Wash for each gallon of water that you fill your sink with.  Use your hand to mix and distribute the wash into the water.
  3. Heat up a cup of water to boiling (or at least very hot).  Add a large pea size of Lansinoh Lanolin for each gallon of water that you fill your sink with.  Mix until the lanolin is no longer in chunks.  It should just be oily water.  Add this mixture to your sink of water and wool wash.  Use your hand to evenly distribute and mix the water, wash, and lanolin.
  4. Submerge your wool items in the water.  Gently press each item in the water so that it soaks completely through.  I like to press one side, then flip the diaper cover over and press the other side.  *Note: If you're worried about lanolin spots on your wool then be sure to turn your wool inside out before you submerge them in the water*
  5. Let your wool items soak in the water for at LEAST 30 minutes.  I like to let mine soak overnight.
  6. Drain the water out of the sink (or bucket).  Fold your wool item in half or quarters and press out as much water as you can.  You can also roll your wool item up and squeeze the water out.  (Do NOT wring your wool items out!  This will warp and stretch your wool)
  7. Lay your wool items on a towel.  Roll the towel up and press to soak up as much water as you can.  If needed get another dry towel and repeat this process to soak up even more water.
  8. Lay your wool items on a towel or drying rack FLAT to dry.  This will take approximately 24 - 48 hours.  Do NOT dry out in the sun.  The heat will cause your wool to shrink.
  9. Voila!  You are done.
HOW TO WASH YOUR WOOL

After the first lanolizing, I'll want to wash my wool periodically after it is soiled (approx every 2-4 weeks or more often if needed) in addition to lanolizing.  I plan on completing the following routine first, and then completing the lanolizing routine.
  1. Fill a sink or bucket with tepid (warm) water.  You want just enough to fully emerge the items that you will be lanolizing.  I like to use my laundry room sink.
  2. Add a teaspoon of Eucalan Wool Wash for each gallon of water that you fill your sink with.  Use your hand to mix and distribute the wash into the water.
  3. Submerge your wool items in the water.  Gently press each item in the water so that it soaks completely through.  I like to press one side, then flip the diaper cover over and press the other side.  If your diaper cover is soiled with feces, then concentrate on these areas pressing and squeezing to work the soil out.  *Be sure not to rub and irritate the fibers of your wool*
  4. Let your wool items soak in the water for 10 minutes.
  5. Drain the water out of the sink (or bucket).  Fold your wool item in half or quarters and press out as much water as you can.  
  6. Set your wool items aside as you prep your sink to lanolize (see steps above for lanolizing).

Well, I'm done with my first lanolizing and I can't believe I put it off for so long.  It was sooooo easy and took no time at all.  I can't wait to test them out and see how they hold up.  Won't be long now and we'll be switching Lincoln from disposables to cloth.  You can bet Lincoln will be wearing lots of wool now.  I love the natural look of it and I'm not scared of the washing routine anymore.

I hope this tutorial helps you overcome your fear of washing wool as well, or help to refine your own routine.  If you've found other techniques that work better for you please feel free to let me know.  I'm definitely open to trying new things.  Till then please check back for more great tutorials, information, reviews, and giveaways, as I continue on with my Adventures In Fluff ... and other mommy stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to show your support with a comment! I LOVE reading all of them and will try and answer any questions that you might have. :)