Monday, November 28, 2011

Traveling with GroVia BioSoakers - Review

As you all might remember, last weekend we all went on our first out of town vacation with Lincoln to Disneyland.  Being that we were going to stay in a hotel, I had originally planned to just use regular disposable diapers on our trip.  I still had a whole package of them from our baby shower.  That was until I was offered the chance to test out GroVia's BioSoakers.  I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical of the BioSoakers (or any disposable insert for that matter), but I packed Lincoln's bag with our 50 pack of BioSoakers and all the diaper covers that I had.  Ok, I also packed my disposables ... just in case.

As soon as we got to our hotel I changed Lincoln into his first GroVia BioSoaker.  I guess I should have practiced before hand because I had no idea exactly how to put one of these things on.  It seemed a little big for my Thirsties Cover but I just ended up sticking it in there, securing the cover, and tucking the excess soaker in.  Then I crossed my fingers, said a little prayer, and hoped we wouldn't have a wet ... or worse yet ... a poopy outfit soon after.  Two hours later it was time for the moment of truth.  I went to change Lincoln and ... OMG!  I was totally surprised.  The only thing that was wet was his BioSoaker.  Not one drop had leaked out!!!  Ok, the BioSoaker could contain pee ... but could it contain newborn poop?  Well, I guess Lincoln was ready to test it out because his very next diaper he let out an explosive poop.  Ack!  I instantly looked all around his clothes expecting to see a poop blowout on his clothes, but I didn't see anything.  I opened up his diaper to change him and was totally amazed again.  The BioSoaker had fully contained the newborn poop and not only didn't let any poop get on his clothes, but also didn't let any poop get on the inside of the cover.  Amazing!  I was sold.  These BioSoakers are awesome!!!  The story was the same throughout our whole trip.  I did have one mess in the middle of the night, but I'm assuming I was too tired to put that diaper on correctly and so it was user error.  Otherwise we had no problems.

Overall I was very happy with the GroVia BioSoakers and would recommend them to anyone.  That's saying a lot coming from a disposable insert skeptic like I was.  I will now make sure to have a stash of BioSoakers on hand for extended travel and times when I need to use a non-cloth friendly diaper rash cream.  Check out the rest of my review and the video below for a closer look at this diapering option.


WHY CHOOSE A GROVIA BIOSOAKER:
- Better for the environment than standard disposable diapers
- Less chemicals touching baby than standard disposable diapers
- More convenient to use than cloth diapers when washing facilities are not available
- Way cuter looking than standard disposable diapers

HOW TO USE:
- Adjust the rise snaps on your diaper cover if applicable (BioSoakers are made to be used in GroVia Shells, but they can be used in any diaper cover)
- Lay BioSoaker in cover or secure in cover using sticky tabs located on the back of the BioSoaker.
- Fasten the diaper cover closed
- Tuck any portions of the BioSoaker that are sticking out, back into the diaper cover.

HOW TO DISPOSE:
- Compost (Remove any solid matter and compost in your garden or commercial composting program)
- Dispose (BioSoaker pads are plastic free and biodegrade in professionally managed composting programs)
- Flush (Tear open your pad and empty the core contents into the toilet.  Throw outer away)

THE SPECIFICS:
- Made with Biodegradable and Compostable Materials
- Fragrance and Dye Free
- Plastic and Chlorine Free
- Super Soft Lining (Certified natural, 100% Ingeo spunboud non-woven fabric)
- Core is made of sustainably harvested wood pulp fibers, containing a minimal amount of SAP gel.
- The Waterproof outer material is made with Bio-Film (fecula) and is 100% natural.

PERFORMANCE REVIEW:
Ease Of Use: ♥♥♥ - The time it takes to do a two part diaper system is a little longer than an AIO or a pocket diaper.  It also takes a bit more time to tuck the excess BioSoaker into the diaper.  Taking off the diaper is pretty easy though.  Just unfasten the diaper, throw the insert away and you're done.  


Adjustability & Fit: ♥♥♥♥♥ - I would like to see these available in two or three sizes.  I felt that the one size was too large for Lincoln's newborn diaper.  I was able to roll the top and bottom of the soaker in, but it would have been much more convenient if it was available in a smaller size.  That being said, the elastic portion did fit Lincoln very well.  It was just the excess liner that bothered me.  I suppose if you didn't care about the look of the excess liner, you could leave it sticking out.  I doubt that it would affect the performance of the diaper.


Leak Protection: ♥♥♥♥♥ - I only had the one leak/blowout with this diaper and I'm pretty sure that it was user error since I was tired and it was in the middle of the night.  Otherwise the BioSoaker was awesome and contained everything great.


Wash Routine: ♥♥♥♥♥ - What's easier than just throwing the soaker away.  Very easy!  Of course it would take more effort if you were going to flush the interior of the diaper or compost, but I just throw them away.


Bang For The Buck: ♥♥♥♥♥ - If you compare the pricing to a cloth diaper then you're paying a lot more.  If you compare the pricing to a name brand sensitive disposable diaper then you're paying about the same or a little more.  If you compare the pricing to a bargain disposable diaper then you're going to be paying quite a bit more.  You will save a little over $3 a pack if you order on Costco.com, but you'll need to buy in bulk (8 packages of 50 diapers each).


The Look: ♥♥♥♥♥ - The look of the BioSoaker is way better than a regular disposable diaper.  You still get the look of a cloth diaper on the outside with whatever diaper cover you choose, but the ease of a disposable on the inside.


WHERE TO BUY:
- GroVia
- Costco
- One of my affiliate online cloth diaper retailers: Sweetbottoms Baby Boutique, Diaper Junction, Kelly's Closet, and Thanks Mama.


**This product was given to me for the purpose of a review, but the review is comprised completely of my own opinions  and was not influenced by any other outside source.**



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to show your support with a comment! I LOVE reading all of them and will try and answer any questions that you might have. :)