Monday, May 19, 2014

Surro Files - 32 Weeks And All Emotional


The Bun
Baby is now about the size of a large squash (16.7 inches) and 3.75 pounds.  Baby is really plumping up and will gain almost half of their body weight by the time of delivery.  This needed body fat will help to keep baby warm in the outside world.  The layer of soft lanugo hair is also starting to shed.  Over the next few weeks baby's real hair and skin will become soft and smooth.  Getting ready for the big day!!!!

On a side note... I just wanted to say that this little bun has started getting the hiccups everyday now.  Currently has them as I write this.  I thought it was strange that this whole pregnancy I didn't notice any hiccups (which are noticeable by their repetition), but I guess baby is making up for it by having them several times a day now.  Haha!


The Oven
Itchy restless legs at night, swollen feet by the end of the day, & contractions off and on throughout the day.  That's where this oven is at the moment.  Think I need to take it in for a tune up.  Maybe a massage???  Haha!  Any reason to get a massage I'm all for.  Baby is also moving about in there quite a bit again.  Went to one of the girl's school functions with music going and you would swear I had an alien about to bust out.  Oh!  And did I mention that the munchies have come back?  I'm seriously hungry ALL the time!!!  I was hoping that the growth would slow down this last trimester, but it looks like baby might want to go through a growth spurt.


The Happenings In the Kitchen
This has actually been quite a slow week.  I guess I really deserve one after all the crazy back to back weeks.  For the most part I've been reading, reading, reading.  It's paid off though.  I'm finally done with book one for my doula certification!!!  I finished The Birth Partner, by Penny Simkin.  Great book!!!  I've actually read it before, but it's been about 8 years, so I figured it couldn't hurt to read it again in a more updated version.  Next up on my book list is The Doula Book.  But before that I'm studying up on some photography techniques since I'll also be offering birth photography.  Fun stuff!

As a result of this being a slow week, I think I've let my mind run off a bit too much.  Emotions are running high, and I'm starting to realize that this journey is almost over.  Not like I'm not happy that in two months I won't be pregnant anymore.  I'll definitely celebrate my ability to pick things up off the floor, get dressed without feeling like I just ran a marathon, and putting on a shirt that actually covers my belly (yes, even most maternity shirts are too small now).  I plan on bringing a bottle of champagne to the hospital with me to celebrate those moments to come.  What I'm not celebrating is losing such a close friend.  Belle and I have become so close over these past 9 months... wait... 15 months since we matched... wait... 4 years since we met.  Ok, I know I'm not losing her as a friend, but I know it'll be different and I'm just all emotional about the unknown.  I know we won't be e-mailing several times a day or everyday or who knows... maybe not even every week or month.  Her new life will be centered around nurturing her new little baby as it should, but it doesn't mean I won't be sad... Of course I'll be happy at the same time.  I mean, isn't that what we're all working towards?  Yes, I'll be happy, but right now my emotions are running high as I know they will for the birth and right after as well.  Bear with me if I shed a few tears or a waterfall.  Yep, I know it's going to happen.

I also found out this week that I'll need to lean on my labor support people a bit more than I had originally planned.  I plan on having Belle, Adam, my best friend Dawn, and my doula Natalie at the birth with me.  During early labor before heading to the hospital I had only planned on having Belle and Adam there to keep me company with Natalie coming towards the end when things got rough, and Dawn coming when we headed to the hospital.  Well, turns out Belle and Adam are a bit uneasy about laboring without doctors around, so they've decided to wait till I head to the hospital to join us.  Plus they have lots of legal work to get squared away for the baby.  I was pretty sad that they won't be there, but at the same time I understand.  That being said, I'll now most likely be calling upon my doula a bit earlier than I had planned and seeing if my friend Dawn can come earlier as well.  I'll really need that support early on to keep my mind busy and off of the contractions.  After all, time flies when you're having fun with friends.

The Chefs (an update from Belle)
Sorry, no update from Belle again this week.  She's in London right now and it's hard to get on the internet while there.  I will say she's been busy keeping the house clean for house guests and house showings.  Keeping my fingers crossed that they sell their house soon!!!!  She's also been packing everything up for the big move.  After all, when she comes back to California for the big day, she won't be flying back to the UK.  She'll be flying back to Canada instead to live with her family and the baby till their house sells.  Adam unfortunately will be flying back to the UK to finalize selling the house and getting them moved out.  Hope it all happens sooner than later.  So much to do before this last big trip!  Hope there is enough time to get it all done.

Coming Soon !!!
May 21st - 32 week OB Appt. - Meeting with the doctor again.  Just a routine visit.
June 25th - Belle Gets Here - Belle gets here to wait it out for the big day.  Lots of stuff to do!
July 2nd - Adam Gets Here - Adam gets here to wait it out for the big day.  We're all ready to go!


Don't forget to check out my "Surrogacy" tab at the top of this page to catch up on any posts you might have missed

*Some of the names in this post have been changed and faces blocked out to protect the identities of those involved in this journey*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to show your support with a comment! I LOVE reading all of them and will try and answer any questions that you might have. :)