Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Newborn Diaper Reviws (PART 2) - Pockets


This is Part 2 of my Newborn Cloth Diaper Series and will be covering the pocket diapers that I used on Lincoln during the newborn phase.  I had quite a few pocket diapers in my newborn stash and loved that I could line dry them so they stayed looking newer longer.  I was not able to start using any of my pocket diapers till Lincoln was 2 weeks old after his umbilical cord fell off.  I was even able to use a few one-size pocket diapers early on in the newborn stage and I will briefly touch upon those options as well.  Listed below are the newborn pocket diapers that we used and how they worked for us.  You can also view the video below for a closer look at each of the diapers and their features.  Hope this helps you when trying to put together your own newborn cloth diaper stash.

** Please note that while I aim to provide the most thorough and honest reviews possible, this review is based on my own preferences and experiences.  Each baby is different and each parent has different likes and dislikes.  What works for one may not work for another, so keep that in mind while doing your research.**




Happy Heinys Mini One-Size - $18.97 / 4-15 lbs (Overall Rating: ♥♥♥♥)

Ease Of Use: ♥♥♥♥ - This is a hook and loop diaper so it's easy on, easy off.  I do not like the laundry tabs though, so instead of just folding them back I have to do a twist attachment which takes a bit longer.  The pocket of this diaper is very easy to stuff despite it being a newborn diaper.  I love that.

Adjustability & Fit: ♥♥♥♥♥ - Being that this is a hook and loop diaper I can get an exact fit on the waist of this diaper.  It also has a snap down rise that gives you three rise adjustments on the diaper giving you even more adjustability and a great fit.  In addition you get two inserts (one small and extra small) so you can even customize the absorbency.  

Leak Protection: ♥♥♥♥ - I had a few leaks with this diaper and maybe one blowout, but I feel it was more myself learning the ways of this diaper.  After I got the hang of it, this diaper worked very well.  I love that there are two inserts so I can use the smaller one in the beginning and the larger one later on.  I can also double them up if I'm going to run errands or using it overnight. 

Wash Routine: ♥♥♥ - I love the ease of washing pockets because I can hang dry the diaper which dries very fast and put the inserts in the dryer which also dry fast.  My only hold up on this diaper are the laundry tabs.  They don't work at all.  I instead twist the two tabs and apply them to each other, but even then they come undone most of the time and stick to my inserts or other diapers.  They don't even label their inserts so I labeled them myself so I would remember what diaper they went to.

Bang For The Buck: ♥♥♥♥♥ - Great value for this diaper!  You can use it very early and you can use it for a long time.  I'm still using this diaper.

Quality & Durability: ♥♥♥♥♥ - Great shape after using it for 2 months.

The Look: ♥♥♥♥ - This diaper has lots of great prints and lots of colors to choose from.  I like the big crossover tabs too.

FuzziBunz Perfect Size XS - $13.95 / 4-12 lbs (Overall Rating: ♥♥♥)

Ease Of Use: ♥♥♥♥ - With two snaps on each wing, it's a little more time consuming than my newborn AIO diapers that have snaps.  It's also extremely difficult to stuff.  I don't know how someone with large hands would do it.  My hands are tiny and I have a hard time with it.  

Adjustability & Fit: ♥♥♥♥ - I could never get a good fit with this diaper.  I always got leg gaps.

Leak Protection: ♥♥♥♥ - I always got leaks with this diaper.

Wash Routine: ♥♥♥ - I love the ease of washing pockets because I can hang dry the diaper which dries very fast and put the inserts in the dryer which also dry fast.  I especially love the ease of washing snap diapers.  I don't have to worry about the hook tabs getting stuck to my other diapers.  The only hard part is when it comes time to stuff them.  They don't even label their inserts so I labeled them myself so I would remember what diaper they went to.

Bang For The Buck: ♥♥♥ - This diaper is on the lower end of the price scale, but it's also on the lower end of the weight scale.

Quality & Durability: ♥♥♥♥♥ - This diaper seems well made and holds up very well.  Mine still looks brand new.

The Look: ♥♥♥♥ - I really like the look of FuzziBunz.  They may not have flashy patterns, but they are very nice and clean looking with bright fun colors.

FuzziBunz Perfect Size XS (w/Hook & Loop) - $13.95 / 4-10 lbs (Overall Rating: ♥♥♥)

Ease Of Use: ♥♥ - Being a hook and loop diaper, this diaper should have been easy to use, but the hook in loop didn't work well at all.  I had a hard time securing the diaper especially in the beginning when I needed to cross the tabs over a bit.  After I washed them it got even worse.  The diaper was also impossible to stuff.  It's so small I don't know how people with bigger hands could do it.

Adjustability & Fit: ♥♥♥♥ - I could never get a good fit with this diaper.  I always got leg gaps.

Leak Protection: ♥♥♥♥ - I always got leaks with this diaper.

Wash Routine: ♥♥♥♥♥ - I like that I can just hang dry the diaper and wash the inserts and they both dry fast, but I hate the hook and loop on this diaper.  It always came undone and stuck to other diapers.  And once again, when it came to stuffing this diaper it was very difficult.

Bang For The Buck: ♥♥♥ - This diaper is on the lower end of the price scale, but it's also on the lower end of the weight scale.

Quality & Durability: ♥♥♥♥♥ - The main part of the diaper seems like a good quality, but the hook and loop portion does not.  After one wash it was already curling and looking bad.

The Look: ♥♥♥♥♥ - The diaper is still fairly cute looking, but not nearly as cute as the original FuzziBunz diapers.  it also only comes in three colors and they're all pretty boring.

Thirsties Duo Diaper w/Aplix - $18.50 / 6-18 lbs (Overall Rating: ♥♥♥♥)

Ease Of Use: ♥♥♥♥ - The aplix version is so quick and easy.  I can put these on and take them off very fast.  They're also easy to stuff.  Since both sides of the pocket are open I can hold both ends of the insert to straighten it out.

Adjustability & Fit: ♥♥♥♥♥ - The fit on this diaper is great.  I get a great fit on the waist since it's hook and loop and I get a great fit on the rise since it has a snap down rise.  I also love that this is a 2 size system.  I was able to start using this diaper from the very beginning (unlike a lot of my other OS diapers).  I've also never had a problem with leg gaps with this diaper (something that I do have a problem with on several of my other newborn diapers).  LOVE the fit of this diaper!

Leak Protection: ♥♥♥♥♥ - This was one of my best leak protection diapers.  I maybe had one leak with this diaper and it was definitely not because the diaper failed.  Most likely I left the diaper on too long.  I love the inserts used for this diaper.  I'm totally going to buy some of these to use with some of my other pocket diapers.

Wash Routine: ♥♥♥ - This diaper is very easy to wash.  I love that the insert agitates out on it's own so I don't have to worry about removing it before I throw it in the hamper.  I have forgotten to stick the aplix on the laundry tabs before, but after a few times forgetting I quickly learned.  The hemp portion of the insert does take awhile to dry, but not any longer than my AIO diapers.

Bang For The Buck: ♥♥♥ - I love that this diaper is a two size diaper.  I think it's awesome that I was able to use them in the newborn stage.  If I were to use these as my entire stash, that would have saved me a lot of money.  Being the type of person I am though, I could never own just one type of diaper.  Where's the fun in that???

Quality & Durability: ♥♥♥♥♥ - This diaper is a pretty good quality, but the aplix portion has started to wear down.  The inner gusset trim is also pilling.  I love the quality of the insert.  It's my favorite insert of all Lincoln's diaper stash.

The Look: ♥♥♥♥♥ - I like the colors and patterns, but they could be better.  It would be awesome if they had some really cool limited edition prints... maybe in a hip rocker type of pattern.  Colored trim would also be cool.  I also wish the PUL was softer ... maybe use a TPU instead.  The aplix does get a bit grungy after awhile so I like the look of the snap version better.

Thirsties Duo Diaper w/Snaps - $18.50 / 6-18 lbs (Overall Rating: ♥♥♥♥)

Ease Of Use: ♥♥♥♥ -  With two snaps on each wing this diaper takes a bit longer to put on that my hook and loop diapers and diapers with only one snap on each wing, but they are still very easy to use.  They're also easy to stuff.  Since both sides of the pocket are open I can hold both ends of the insert to straighten it out.

Adjustability & Fit: ♥♥♥♥♥ -  The fit on this diaper is great.   I thought that the snap version would not give me the fit that I needed, but I was totally wrong.  It works just as well as the aplix.  I also get a great fit on the rise since it has a snap down rise.  I love that this is a 2 size system.  I was able to start using this diaper from the very beginning (unlike a lot of my other OS diapers).  I've also never had a problem with leg gaps with this diaper (something that I do have a problem with on several of my other newborn diapers).  LOVE the fit of this diaper!

Leak Protection: ♥♥♥♥♥ - This was one of my best leak protection diapers.  I maybe had one leak with this diaper and it was definitely not because the diaper failed.  Most likely I left the diaper on too long.  I love the inserts used for this diaper.  I'm totally going to buy some of these to use with some of my other pocket diapers.

Wash Routine: ♥♥♥ - This diaper is very easy to wash.  I love that the insert agitates out on it's own so I don't have to worry about removing it before I throw it in the hamper.  Because this is a snap diaper I don't have to worry about the hook and loop getting stuck to other diapers in the wash.  I just hang the diaper to dry and throw the insert in the dryer.  The hemp portion of the insert does take awhile to dry, but not any longer than my AIO diapers.

Bang For The Buck: ♥♥♥ - I love that this diaper is a two size diaper.  I think it's awesome that I was able to use them in the newborn stage.  If I were to use these as my entire stash, that would have saved me a lot of money.  Being the type of person I am though, I could never own just one type of diaper.  Where's the fun in that???

Quality & Durability: ♥♥♥♥♥ - This is a very good quality diaper.  It's really held up well, especially since it's a snap diaper.  The only portion of the diaper that has shown wear and tear is the lining on the inner gussets.  I love the quality of the insert.  It's my favorite insert of all Lincoln's diaper stash.

The Look: ♥♥♥ - I like the colors and patterns, but they could be better.  It would be awesome if they had some really cool limited edition prints... maybe in a hip rocker type of pattern.  Colored trim and snaps would also be cool.  I also wish the PUL was softer ... maybe use a TPU instead.  I am glad they came out with a snap version.  It looks better over the long run than the aplix version

One-Size & Two-Size Diaper Options
There were a few diapers that we used during the newborn stage that are one-size, or two-size that you may also want to consider when building your newborn cloth diaper stash.  Lincoln was a larger baby when born so these options fit him very well starting at 2-3 weeks (8-9 lbs).  I'm not going to go into performance reviews on these diapers at this time but wanted to show you some other options if you want to use more of a one-size system.  Please view my video more a little more detail and keep your eyes open for the full reviews on my blog in the coming weeks.

Rump.a.rooz OS / SoftBums Omni OS / SoftBums Echo OS  / AppleCheeks Size: 1
_________________________________________________________________________________
If you would like to purchase any of these diapers for your little one, then please visit their website links above or help support this blog by visiting one of my affiliate stores: Sweetbottoms Baby BoutiqueKelly's ClosetDiaper Junctionor Thanks Mama. 


**One of the above products was given to me for the purpose of a review, but this review is comprised completely of my own opinions  and was not influenced by any other outside source.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to show your support with a comment! I LOVE reading all of them and will try and answer any questions that you might have. :)